Friday 16 May 2014

New York: the art I saw

Last week saw me take a solo trip to New York. I saw a lot of inspiring things, whether it was street art or just the sun! But I did also take in some art in galleries. This is all my favourite stuff....

WHO: Carrie Mae Weems
WHAT: Three decades of photography and video
WHERE: Guggenheim


I had never heard of Carrie Mae Weems until I saw her work here, in fact I didn't have a clue what was on at the Guggenheim, I went because I was given a voucher for free entry, I am so glad I did go.
Photography/video is not usually one of my favourites, I like it, but there is normally something I like more.

But this made me smile so much.
Weems is a black artist from Portland and all her work focuses in on race, gender, sex and class, so it was pretty much a given I was going to like it.

From her shots of children shot in black and another colour entitled 'colored people' to her kitchen table series.
One of my favourites was Ain't Jokin' which featured portraits of people with text underneath, the text ranging from playground chants to racist stereotypes.
Another favourite was work from the American Icons collection. everyday household items, shot within the setting they would be used, but just so happen to be racist paraphernalia.

SO GOOD!









WHO: Jessicka Addams/Lindsey Way/Lori Nelson
WHAT: That which does not kill you...
WHERE: Cotton Candy Machine


This show was one of the main reasons I made my trip to NYC and it did not disappoint.
So many great pieces of work I could get right up close to and stick my face in (I love to do this, getting so close I can see the lines!).
First up was Lindsey's work, which was a series of paintings (gouache on wood panel) featuring women, creatures and volcanoes. Far removed from her previous work of paper diorama's (that I too loved). The works were filled with sadness, adventure, empowerment, science and love. But most of all they made me want to go home and make the world's greatest quilt!
Then came Jessicka's work (now I  me be biased as she's been pretty much a hero of mine since my mid teens!) but when works of art feature cat's and girls, I'm most likely going to be a fan!
Acrylic on panel, vivid colours, cat's and girls looking forlorn and lost, fell totally in love. Especially with one piece called Sad Purple (yes it is the piece of a brown girl!).
Lastly was Lori's work. I was unaware of her until this show, and let's just say she made it a triple whammy of greatness.
Her larger pieces, which I think were mostly oil on wood and were like looking at illustrations for children's nursery rhyme books, but with a dark twist.
She also had pieces that were little plaques with a resin coat, of all sorts of creatures (reminiscent of carnival freakshows) children with scales or hair or several eyes, all in prayer, I loved these











WHO: Kara Walker
WHAT: A Subtlety (or the marvellous sugar baby)
WHERE: Domino Sugar Factory


This one BLEW ME AWAY!
Set in an old sugar refinery (a place where they turn brown sugar white!), that had previously had a fire there, so when you arrived it just smelt like burnt sugar, this was enough to win me over.
You step inside and you're basically in a huge empty warehouse and created by life size figurines of children carrying baskets, made from what looks like brown sugar!
At the end of space is a giant Sphinx/woman.
A sugar sculpture of a racial stereotype mammy face, with huge oversized breasts, fingers toes, vagina and all.
It is one of those seen to be believed pieces, speaking about race, gender, sexualisation, wealth and probably so much more!
I am so glad I got to see this piece (it was touch and go and squeezed it in just hours before my flight).






No comments:

Post a Comment